Monday, February 25, 2013

I suppose it's not classy to post about compliments that your child receives, but this story is really about the compliment-giver.  Or at least, that's what I most enjoy about it.  It's also possible that something was lost (or gained) in translation.

We recently visited some acquaintances, a French-American family with two young boys for whom English is sort of a second first language since they only speak English regularly with their mother and do everything else in French with a little Arabic thrown in.  Consequently, the constant stream of little boy chatter during our visit was in slightly stilted English.  The five-year-old produced a great deal of noise and activity.  In brief pauses from tearing around the living room, he'd tell me, "ARRGRRR!  I'm a lion.  I can do the animals of the world.  I know everything!"  Then he climbed up on the arm of my chair, looked closely at Little Guy, and said, "He's too beautiful."

No comments: