Monday, September 3, 2012

I Should Be 83

When I got back to work after our trip, there was an email waiting for me that said I was eligible for a free upgrade on my work cell phone.  I didn't really care too much, since my work cell gets only sporadic use, and it is, after all, for work, not for fun.  So I picked a new phone at random from the list of options available (I'm pretty sure I passed up an iPhone 4 in there, so you can tell how invested I was in this decision), and the next Monday a box arrived at my office.  I didn't even bother to open the box until Thursday morning (again, you can see how underwhelmed I was by this opportunity), which turned out to be a bit of a problem, since a coworker's new phone had been shipped along with mine, and he had been thinking for the previous three days that his phone was stolen in the mail.

Oops.

Anyway, when I finally got the new phone unwrapped and charged, this is what I was looking at:



Great, it adds a little flair to my desk.  But then I had to actually use it.

I should note here that I love technology.  If it does fancy stuff with data, images, etc. I'm all for it.  But with telecommunications, I prefer an unplugged approach.  I don't need to have constant access to my email, and if I need to call someone, I'm only looking for a phone, not a carnival of apps.  (This might be related to why I am not exactly speedy with responding to emails and why this blog is not particularly current most of the time)

So.  I have a 100% Old Woman relationship with this phone.  I do not like sorting through numerous icons that may or may not have obvious uses.  I am cranky that there isn't always a keypad visible and that, when I am using the keypad, I can't feel that I've pressed a button.  I can't seem to 'slide' the screen right to unlock it, so I occasionally miss calls and have to call people back (feel free to laugh at me here).  And the last straw for an Old Woman: I am totally confident that it is extra, EXTRA unsafe to use a smartphone while driving.

No comments: